Saturday, June 7, 2014

Missing Stories

For one of the education boards, the pharmacy school girls did "work health." They were able to purchase a whole lot of bandanas to use over the nose and mouth, protecting people from the dust, dirt, etc. First of all, Michelle was super smart by checking to make sure we were not supporting any Ecuadorian gang's colors. Ha! Well, when Mama Gloria (our amazing cook) saw them she freaked! She was so excited. She really wanted one. Of course she got one. And, she has been wearing it every day since. So cute!

When that butterfly was taken out of the man's ear the other day, I made sure that everyone in clinic and pharmacy got to see it. Some where interested, some were not, Aneesh just squealed. I never have heard such a high pitched sound come out of someone before.

With the spiritual bracelets I had two of my boys struggle a bit. Jaunito attempted to help me make them one night, it only took him 10 minutes to put it together. I gave him a very hard time for that. Aneesh decided he could help me pump out some during a short down time in the pharmacy. Between dropping the bracelet, letting the beads fall off the string, an inability to tie knots, and so on, it literally (no exaggeration) took him 30 minutes to make one. I was so proud of him though!!!

The first day in clinic Aneesh and I had Pastor Ramon as our translator. He was wonderful! From day two on we have had David. Also wonderful! The first day with David was pretty funny though, he would blush anytime I would have him say the awkward words like penis, vagina, poop, breast feeding. Hahahaha! I found out today on the bus that this is his first medical mission translating. Poor guy didn't know what he was in for translating for us. He can say those words like a champ now without blushing.

I am always on again, off again with wearing gloves. Either way I make sure to wash and sanitize really well. For this particular story, I was not wearing gloves and my hair was down. The dream team (Aneesh, David, and I), were seeing a Mama with three kiddos. We went through each person, addressing their respective problems. When we were working on the last kid the other two were playing with my hair. As we were just about to send them out the door Mama asks, "what about the little white bugs in their hair?"........ I was horrified. All of the children had lice. I had let them play with my hair..... I was not wearing gloves.....Renae was such a sweet heart, she checked me for lice. Even though she thought I was being paranoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment