Thursday, June 12, 2014

If It Fits It Ships. That's What I Always Say!

Last day in clinic for the trip. It was such a wild day! We saw just as many people today as we did today, only in half the time. I had the amazing Mary and the fabulous Katty again. We are a great team!


Every night one of the military men stays at the village so that we do not need to tear down every night. When we arrived this morning Victor, who stayed the night, was wearing a machete. I asked if it was a rough night. His response, “yep, there were dunks. But, this scared them away.” I laughed so hard!

Two more teeth were pulled today. It still amazes me how many people want teeth pulled. Ayayayay! I had Pastor Ramon check on Luz, my tooth girl from EMM13. Unfortunately, she is no longer at the school we served at anymore. He did say that it was taken care of and that she was doing well the last time he spoke with the family. What a sweet girl.

There was an older gentleman that came in with the help of his son and two walking sticks. From across the room I could see that I was going to need Dr. Hall’s help; his right eye was super infected and dripping.  He was totally blind in the left eye and starting to loose sight in his right due to the infection. I am pretty sure that this was the first time on this trip that I almost threw up. Doc had me holding open the infected eye while he examined the eye. When he touched a white spot with a Qtip it ruptured. First of all, eyes are yucky. Second of all, infections are nasty. Third of all, it was stinky. He also needed teeth pulled, but was in too much pain for them to come out. I hope that we were able to save that eye.

There was a handsome old man that came to clinic today. He reminded me of my Papa Bear. He was loving that all three of us wanted pictures of him. Such a sweet heart!


A school from a considerable distance came today. There were about sixty kiddos and three teachers. It was a bit surprising when they rolled up in a tiny pickup. They were stacked in there like vacuumed sealed sardines. WOW! Safety first. As my dear sister would say, “if it fits it ships!”


Good byes. Oh, good byes. I always suck at those. It was great to hear stories from the trip. Being my mothers child of course I cried. Every time… The last two week have flown by. I am sad to be leaving this beautiful country and these beautiful people.


Viva la Selva (jungle)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment