Wednesday, June 11, 2014

It's Not A Bag Of Cheese... It's A Dog

Mary and Katty were my crew today.  We worked so well together and saw a ton of patients. It was interesting to say the least.

We pulled two teeth; a whole lot more actually asked to have teeth pulled. The teeth have been so bad!


There was a 6 year old boy who has had a chronic eye infection for over two years. Poor thing! He had been infected and dealing with the inflammation for so long that it was starting to damage his eye sight. We gave him treatment for the problem with hopes that it will work. I am sure that if he were to continue with how it has been, that he would be blind by thirty.

Our station was giving out STD treatment to almost every other patient and sometimes three at a time. In all, it was 10 shots that I gave today, with a whole punch of “partner packs.” There was a group of three ladies that were having a great time all things considered. All three needed treatment. They got laughing at the fact that they had to show me their hinies. It never stopped. HA! Well, then Aneesh tried to duck into our room to put his coat somewhere out of the way. One of the ladies already had her backside exposed. He was so embarrassed and the ladies loved it! They roared with laughter. That group also gave me a new nickname: Angel Hands, since the shot didn’t even hurt. When I told Renae, she gave me a different one: STD Queen. Mmmmmmmm….. I like Angel Hands better.

The toddlers at this village seem to be deathly afraid of my albino skin. I have made almost everyone one of them cry. Well, today I had two that I made smile. GO ME! YEA! Katty made me take a picture with him to prove it (just for you David).



We were getting ready to load onto the bus when someone pointed out a puppy in a potatoes sack. Not joking. His head was the only thing sticking out. One of the soldiers went to see what was up, because all of the gringos were upset. Apparently, they had bought the dog today and were taking it to their home. The dog in a sack was freaking out. It was traumatic.


I feel like I am always referencing the lack of roads that we travel on in Ecuador. Here I go again… Our bus hardly fits on this road that we take every day. We were just about to fly around a ninety-degree corner when leaving the village today. Fernando hit the breaks sending all of us flying. We stopped inches from another bus the same size as ours. From the very back of the bus, I could see the whites of the other drivers eyes. And, somehow we were able to slide by each other.


We made it home safe and sound. One more day in Quiningua.

No comments:

Post a Comment