Saturday, June 15, 2013

Unconventional Transportation

Crazy day!!!

We made it about half way down the teny-tiny switch back, single lane gravel road before the tire went flat. That was actually quite an awesome adventure. About ten of us decided that we would walk to the village. We were sure we could make it before the bus was even fixed. The down hill part of the walk was beautiful, easy, and wonderful. It was the uphill part was horrific. It was like the Spartan race all over again. The ten of us were a sweaty, hot mess. But, we did beat the bus! Also, Dan wanted to see a tiger. Thankfully we did not end up seeing one, so, I did not need to change my pantalones.

I spent the first part of the day in pharmacy. Fun as always. We got to see heart murmers, round worm, and congenitial corneal defects, along with the rest of the usual infections/what not. In all we saw 97 patients today!
Line for Clinic


The second half of my day was spent in children's clinic. Basically, you entertain the kids even though you cannot communicate with them...Lets be honest, I was not looking forward to that. At least in Africa they spoke a little English.It turned out to be a blast. The kids just love being loved on.We played musical chairs, soccer, coloring, and some random water game. Its a relay of filling up a liter bottle with a paper plate. Holy cow, it was entertaining!!! The little girls had be spinning them around in circle, up, and down, and all around. I was picking up the girls and throwing them over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes. After a few times of that with two of the girls I got a little extra treat... a toot in the face. Completely and utterly exhausted. It was such a good time, even if I didn't understand what those cute little girls were saying.

One of the little girls that I spent most of the day with was a tough egg to crack. I spotted her right off the bat and tried talking to her with my very choppy and broker spanish, but she refused to say a word. Eventually, I was able to make her smile. Then... the ice broke! She was jabbering away. The cutie had a scar from top to bottom of her cheek.

 One of the other gals, the amazing Kalli, had another interesting experience similar to my toot-face incidence. She was working socks-and-shoes with Me. Kalli was holding the little ones while Meg washed their little feet. One of the girls was whaling the moment she got near the shoe clinic. Kalli was holding the screamer when she felt something warm coming. She quickly moved her legs out of the way just in time to avoid the pee. Except the splatter on her pants.
     Side note: Poor Meg cut both of her legs shaving and is still bleeding. We all fear she may bleed out.

I grabbed our big duffel bags from the other room to pack up the pharmacy. As I was just about to walk into the pharmacy, a giant spider crawled out of the bag and was coming at my hand. I almost died. IT WAS A MONSTER!!!!!!!

When it was time to leave, a handful of us got to ride in the back of the Army truck. It was such a dusty ride. We had medical masks on which made it bearable. It was such a great way to get back to the main road though. There is just something about the wind in your face with that gorgeous landscape. I am sad that we do not get another day of that beauty.

Dan made the very poor decision of sitting next to me two nights in a row on that terrible road where cars are passing three at a time in the dark around blind corners. I think there was only one time tonight that I jumped into his lap for fear of a collision. He will be scared for life by the time this trip is over. Sorry Dan!


We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Romans 8:28    (today was a coin day Khari)

1 comment:

  1. It is such a blessing to have you guys there ministering and blessing the people of Ecuador. Although I could not attend this year, I am there with you guys in heart. Please say hi to everyone for me. I miss them all.

    ReplyDelete