Monday, June 10, 2013

Quito to Rio Bamba - Flight + Day Uno (1)

What an awesome way to say farewell (for now) to the U.S. Amazingly fabulous date followed by hanging out with my Sis, Big B (Bryan), and Mr. B (Bentley). In case anyone was wondering, I have the best sister in the whole wide world. She slept only one hour so that she could take Lindsey and I to the airport at 3am!

We were a sight to see with out 44 bags of shoes and meds packed to the fifty pound limit lined up at the ticket counter. In all, getting out of Spokane was easy.                                     Spokane ----------> Denver

Denver was a beautiful city from the airport :) A very short layover.                  Denver ----------> Huston

Worst turbulence of my life. It woke me from my mild lapse of coma that I had lapsed into. Also a rough landing too, but we made it. Long layover.                                                       Huston ----------> Quito

The "long flight" of 5hrs was easy-peasy! I sat smack in the middle of another mission group from Waco Texas. Neat getting  to talk to them.                                                                 Quito!!!

Our fearless leader Nancy told us as soon as we get our checked bags to head through customs and that most of us would get pulled for inspection and questioning... No stress... Yea, do you know who you are talking to?!? I happened to be the first one to make it to the machine that decides your fate. I put my hand up the scanner... IT TURNED GREEN! I did not have to put my bag or myself through the x-ray machine, I did not have to get inspected, and I did not get questioned in a language I hardly know!!! Alicia was the only other person who made it through without trouble. The other twenty, not so lucky. We waited over an hour for them to make it through. Very heart racing ride to the hotel and then we crashed.

Great devotion by Nancy this morning. Awesome music by Bob and Cheryl. Wish I could carry a tune in a bucket though. First experience with Ecuador breakfast: interesting. Turkey and swiss sandwich on white bread, fruit, granola, and instant coffee. It is halarious that a country that produceses coffee drinks instant. Ha!
 Lindsey enlightened our group on a new and now favorite term: Bosom buddies. Now, it is not what you might be thinking. It is not a booty call or someone who puts their facial parts in your bosom parts. A bosom buddy is someone you keep close to your heart! Oooooooooohhhhh! We had a tremendous laugh.

The military came, we loaded up the truck and bus and away we went! Drove drove drove. The ceiling emergency exit cover flew off while driving! Not a big deal, except that it started raining! Minor flooding in the back of the bus.Boxed lunch from "GUS." Made me smile! Thanks buddy for looking out for me even in Ecuador; you da best! Drove drove drove.
Arrived at Sebad Seminary which will serve as our home base for the next week plus. We are able to go out onto the roof and have a birds eye view of the city. It is spectacular! Did some pharmacy labeling at prep for tomorrow. We will be getting an early start tomorrow in order to set up our site!

No comments:

Post a Comment