Sunday, June 30, 2013

Rain, Rain, Make The Spiders Go Away


Parana is my new favorite fish! Both Alicia and I loved it. The problem is that we got a full meal  plus the huge fish. I was sure I was going to explode.

Andres (our wonderful guide), had made a bet with our local guide that it would not rain. However, he had us wear our Gum-Drop-Boots (shot out to Miss Katie) anyways.  By the time we made it on the lake it started raining. We took the motor boat to the clay lake where the parrots come to eat. They need the minerals and to counteract the toxins from the seed that they eat.  There were three different species of parrots. A boa constrictor had been in that area a few days prior, so, we were on the look out for it. After a solid half hour Sergio found it! It looks exactly like the branch of a tree. Rain really started to come down. Everyone in the boat was given poncho; One’s that I could not mistake for a garbage bag (shout out to Christina). I have never, ever, ever, ever, ever seen rain like this. All of our bums were soaked from the rain pouring off of the poncho’s onto the seats of the boat.
Pancho Time

Finally made it to the community! Rosa, a local woman, gave us a tour of their “farm land.” She let us dig up this root plant which we had for lunch, pineapple plants, fish/turtle pond,  etc. The people of the Amazon basin used to be nomadic, living in groups usually no bigger than eight to ten people. A change in lifestyle towards a more Western culture of living in communities has really put a strain on the environment. These new techniques of raising their own crops and fish and turtle eggs has allowed the wild population of each to reflourish.
The women made us lunch. We had fish and heart of psalm cooked inside a banana leaf. Holy guacamole… AMAZING. There was also two different types of plantains, the root, and a traditional alcoholic beverage that tasted like crap. Eating on the floor off of a huge leaf was a lot of fun. All of the community members were so nice.

Amazon Cooking
A wonderful British man joined our group yesterday. The poor, handsome man had the misfortune of sitting next to me on the boat ride back :)
Once we got back to the lodge… they had food for us. You have got to be kidding me! We just had a full meal at the community!!! During our free time, both Alicia and I passed out.

Our afternoon activity was a blast. We took a canoe ride and a short hike to see pygmy marmot monkeys. Oh, they are precious! The smallest monkey in the world. Alicia just wanted to pick them up and put them in her pocket.

Zipped across the lake for a nice night hike. Our guides talked to a lot of birds and monkeys, but we did not see too many. There were tons of bugs and crawly creatures that were wonderfully fun to see.  And then…. The spiders… Ayayayayay….  
Scorpion Spider - Size of PaKa's Hand

There are the tiny one…  which freak me out.
There are the ones the size of silver dollars… which freak me out.
There  are the ones that are the size of my Dad’s hands… which really freak me out. 
Then, as I start writing tonight, there is a spider on my chair! I know that I will have a nightmare tonight about the stupid creatures. Bleck!

No comments:

Post a Comment