Monday, December 31, 2012

Camel Time

Very sunny and warm this morning. It was still very beautiful when we got to Kiria. It was road work again today. So, we piled rocks in the muddiest, washed out parts and smashed them into smaller pieces. My friend Elizabeth had a load of questions for me: I did my best to answer them! We were able to finish a huge section of road and moved on to another section about a mile away (all up hill). Two of my favorite little girls held my hand and skipped with me the whole way. The girls also laughed a lot at how heavy I was breathing up that hill. The group made a descent dent in the next section before the rain came. But once the rain started there was nothing to do. Playing ball games with the children was canceled because the field was flooded. The entire team was bumbed. We had to take off before the roads washed out. A very short day in Kiria. Drove back to town, stopped at a market for people to buy tea/coffee to take home, and headed to the hotel. Due to the fact that the day was canceled we had the opportunity to ride a camel. Mohammad is a 20 year old, very nice camel. Sister and I rode double on him. That was very scary but very fun!!!! Our leader Khari was not joking when he said we were going to give everything we had and then some while on this trip. By the end of every day its a struggle to stay up to play dice games. So, as you can imagine there were very few of us who stayed up to "cross into the New Year" as the Kenyans call it. Six of us made it! We danced in the new year with the party upstairs. Ten minutes of dancing with those energetic Kenyans and we were down for the count. Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment