Saturday, December 29, 2012

Busting Rocks In Kiria

The day started off with a wonderful devotion by Christina. She talked about how you are already perfect the way that you are. She based it off a passage from 1 Corinthians 12:12 (take a look its too long to type on my Kindle keyboard). I know that personally I often compare myself to others. If only I could play the guitar, if only I was as smart as so-and-so, if only I could sing like that... my list goes on Anson. But, this passage reminds us that we cant all be the same and we cant all be good at the same thing. Just like in hey body, the kidney is not as glorious or referenced as frequently as the heart or the eyes. However, if those kidneys functioned like the eyes or the heart we would be in bad shape!! ***pharmacy shout out!!! We did not have to drive all he way out to the village since our task for the day was road work. When we got there the community was already out and working. Before jumping in to help I had to use thee bathroom. Sine there were cattle herders and the community around they wouldn't just let me go in the bush. Mercy, one of our amazing community leaders, took me to someones house to use the "bathroom." My first experience with a Kenyan toilet. What a smell. I held my breath but I could still taste it. I was SO thankful for the hotel toilet this evening!!!! Back to the roads. With the roads being mostly mud, the process was to place bog rocks in the muddy ruts and take sledge hammers to the big rocks to make them about the size of an outstretched hand. It was super cool to see the whole community come out to help and support this project. After our intense road work we got to experience home visits. Our team was divided into 4 small groups. Our group visited a man who is 86 years old! He was very happy to have us in his home and told us some great stories. This man fought for Africa's. Freedom against the British, has 8 children, a mess of grandchildren and greatgrandchildren, and was struck by lightening! Wow. This man was amazing. Silus, a young man from Kiria, said that people come to this man for wisdom and advice. My group will have the opportunity to spend more time with him later in the week. Today was a good day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment