Saturday, July 28, 2018

Clinic Day 5 - Tibal Ichbamba Community

Our final day in the community of Tibal Ichubamba. From the begning of the day it was a bit iffy if we would be able to see everyone in clinic. One of my most traumatic moments of a previous trip was deciding who would be seen and who would be turned away when we ran out of time. Thankfully we were able to see everyone! Not one person turned away!!!

Yesterday my translator Andrea and I saw a very nice couple. They asked for hearing aid batteries. My jaw just about bounced off the floor. On Monday when we were unpacking all of our supplies, there was a big package of hearing aid batteries. I remember saying, "hhhmmmm well thats interesting. I wonder why we wasted that space on hearing aid batteies." Here was the reason why. Even though I could not see the plan the Lord knew the need. So they came back to clinic today. When I put the battery in the hearing aid, it didn't work. Cue heartbreaking music. I figured the thing was broken. It was extreamly dirty and all of the writing was worn off. In a last ditch effort I tore the thing apart; cleaning it inside and out. When he put it back into his ear his face lit up. He could hear again! It was an awesome moment for all of us.

For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knows, the door will be opened.
                                                                                                                                Matthew 7:8

I have worked with Andrea as my translator for the last few years. It has been a blast to grow with her.  For many of the common things, she will know exactly the words and questions I want to ask before I even speak. The things that used to make her blush or cringe are now old hat for her. So cool! We are a great team. Another thing we have brought in more and more to our time in clinic is prayer. I can say that there are very few times that there are not tears. As in so many other moments, it seems to the simple things like batteries, washing hands, and prayer that can be the most powerful gifts given. These trips to Ecuador never cease to humble me.

No comments:

Post a Comment