Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Clínica Terminada

The last day in clinic for the trip.  As expected it was a crazy day. We saw 177 people today and turned no one away!  We did run out of a few meds and sunglasses, but it true EMM fashion we made it work.

There are a lot of dirty ears here. There seemed to be a constant waiting line at the ear wash station. Since today was mostly families, we would load their ears up with lactulose  while we were still seeing their other family members before sending them into the lineup. Even with excessive soaking in lactulose, there were a lot of people who's ear plugs would not budge. Yuck. Lets be honest, the smell isn't that great either. Yesterday I smelled this smell, I thought it was me. I was so weirded out because I shouldn't smell that bad; seriously, I shower every day. It was my otoscope.... sick.

Our most hadsome patient of the day

I gave my first intra-articular injection today. Pretty awesome. Dr. Hall is a phenomenal teacher. He also has a great deal of trust in letting me do something like that with zero experience (with joint injections that is).

Like a pro
In total we have seen close to 500 patients in our time here. That is so many people!!!! So many that have gone for too long without medical care. So many that have gone too long without being loved on. What an amazing experience and what a blessing!

My amazing translator Isaac teaching stretching
I can't wait to see the impact this trip will make on these communities. After seeing the change in Pachancho, it is exciting to see what will come next for Alao, Cebadas, and Calpi.

On the way home a few of us took a pit stop at Katty's new place. It is so cool! She has a nice hunk of land, with walls that are almost totally finished. And the view!! Holy cow, it is stunning! I am so proud of my nana!!!
Katty's land and the wall
Jaunito, one of our veteran translators,  sang a couple of songs for us. He is an aspiring rapper here in Ecuador. In years past he has been a bit timid about singing for even a small group of us. Tonight, he volunteered and sang in front of the entire group. It was fantastic!

We had to say goodbye to a few of our military friends. Most will be coming with us to Baños for some R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment